home tutorials features parties custom orders

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One of My Favorite Patterns



A few months back, I picked up this Chelsea Andersen pattern (M6062) put out by McCall's.  I had just started sewing again and wanted an easy peasant style shirt/dress pattern to make my daughter something cute. First of all, the two little girls on the cover are adorable, and the fabrics I thought were so cute in pink and green.

And although it doesn't have Easy written on the front of the pattern, it really is easy to make.  As you can image, there are no complicated steps required to put together a peasant top or dress, but for someone new to sewing, this pattern clearly outlines what you need to do.  Very simple instructions to follow.  Love it!

Since it was approaching fall, I decided to make my dear daughter top A in cotton quilting fabric I had picked up at Joann's. I had a remnant in the perfect teal green corduroy to match the top, so I whipped up some pants, too.  I think I didn't have quite enough of the corduroy to do two rows of ruffles on the pants, so I just opted for one.  I also extended the sleeve length a few inches to be a 3/4 length.


And I had been wanting to learn how to make a fabric flower, so I searched online for some tutorials.  Of course I came across a ton, and now I don't even remember which ones I used, but I made a couple of fabric flowers--one I turned into a big barrette and the other a pin to attach to the top or a purse.


Here is the fabric flower pin.  Sometimes she wears it on the waistband on the side or the middle, but most often she doesn't wear it.  I still think it is cute.  I had thought she could also pin it to this cute brown corduroy purse I made her, but she hasn't let me do that yet.

 

To date, of all the outfits I have made for Ella, this is the one that I favor most.  Apparently, so does everyone else!  Whenever she wears this, people go out of their way to stop us and tell us how pretty she looks or how cute her outfit is.  That is such a good feeling.  I can't believe I haven't made any pictures of her wearing it though!  Ugh!

Because this first attempt at McCall's Pattern M6062 was such a success, I decided to make Ella's Christmas nightgown from the same top but with some modifications. First of all, I went with a full length sleeve, then I left of the elastic waistband, and I made the overall top longer so it would be more like a dress.  This is the best picture of her in it that I could find.  She had just woken up Christmas morning!


Again, this pattern produced a winner!  She loved the gown, which I made using some vintage holiday themed fabric from my mom's stash.  I even had enough to make Ella a matching pillowcase.


Even though it is way past Christmas, she still likes wearing the gown and using the pillowcase!

Around the same time I made the Christmas gown, I purchased some designer fabrics from a local store.  I thought they were so cute.  Owls seem to be so popular right now, and the light blue color was a nice departure from the mostly pink/purple wardrobe Ella has.  I made another outfit--top and pants--just like the first very popular outfit, but to my disappointment, Ella is not as fond of the fabric as I am.  She has worn it maybe three times since I made it, and it always takes some coaxing on my part to get her into it.  Oh, well.


I even matched up the plaids!   I can't understand why she doesn't like it! Aren't owls cute?


And finally, I made her another nightgown like the Christmas one.  In fact, it was the very first thing I ever blogged about here.  The Valentine gown.  The fabric is so fun and playful, and of course, pink!  She loves this gown and wears it often.  


So, if you are in the market for a great peasant top/gown/dress pattern, I highly recommend the McCall's M6062 by Chelsea Andersen.  I've yet to make Dress B on the pattern, but that is on my to do list for this spring.  I have a feeling Ella is going to love it, too.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

7 comments:

  1. All of the outfits are adorable, Veronica!!! My favourite is the top one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very cute pattern, and so versatile. I love your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outfits for your daughter are lovely, my favourite is the first one, but I also like the polka dot fabric you used in the second one, what a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your post and seeing your awesome creations, I can't wait to get this pattern! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love patterns like that! Ones that you can totally use over and over---they are the best!

    Darling dresses....and I LOVE the bag you made. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those patterns are classics and timeless. Wish I can buy McCalls patterns in Indonesia, unfortunately they're not available here, except I buy them online (etsy and ebay)

    Btw, I can understand why your girl love the pink gown. Almost every girl loves pink, so does my girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hobby Lobby has their McCall's on sale this week, and I went SEARCHING for this pattern! Thanks for posting this, I might not have bought it if you hadn't said it wasn't difficult to make. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!